Greetings Monday Motivators!
In my February 3 Monday Motivators I encouraged you to set BIG Goals. The next step is to devise a plan. It’s not enough to set a goal or dream about something you want to come to fruition. You need a road map for reaching your destination.
Your plan needs to include:
- The actions you need to take. For example, if my goal were to take my family on a vacation to Disneyworld, I would take actions such as:
- Talk to people who have been to Disneyworld.
- Talk to a travel agency.
- Research all I can about Disneyworld on the Internet.
- Set “X” dollars aside per week (or month) toward my trip.
- Cost compare the packages available.
- Time frames by which you will accomplish the various steps. You want to set target dates to keep you on track. You might fall a little behind once and a while but setting target dates is a huge step in keeping you focused.
- Consider who might help you achieve your goal. Who else do you need to enlist to assist you with various steps or aspects?
Next, monitor your progress. Just like navigating a ship, you need to see if you are staying on course. Keep your action steps in a place that you will check on a regular basis, whether that be a soft or hard copy. You can even keep your action list in a few places. The idea is that you have to continue to check the list—take a good look at it. When you have accomplished an action, check it off or give yourself a star.
People do not achieve their BIG goals (or little ones) because they don’t want to devote the time and energy it takes. However, once you learn the process and see success, you will want to make the commitment in all 5 Pillars of a BIG Life: Career, Family, Financial, Spiritual and Wellness.
Take time this week to write 5 – 6 action steps and deadline dates for your BIG goal. Good luck! I know you can do it.
Subscribe to Monday Motivators.